What is involved in Operational Excellence
Find out what the related areas are that Operational Excellence connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Operational Excellence thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Operational Excellence journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Operational Excellence leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Operational Excellence related domains to cover and 53 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Operational Excellence, Chevron Corporation, High reliability organization, Management fad, Management system, Scientific Management, Shingo Prize for Operational Excellence, Six Sigma, The Toyota Way, Toyota Production System:
Operational Excellence Critical Criteria:
Conceptualize Operational Excellence tactics and point out improvements in Operational Excellence.
– What are the key elements of your Operational Excellence performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– How do enterprise systems help businesses achieve operational excellence?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Operational Excellence?
– What are the barriers to increased Operational Excellence production?
Chevron Corporation Critical Criteria:
Guide Chevron Corporation projects and reduce Chevron Corporation costs.
– Do we monitor the Operational Excellence decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Operational Excellence leaders?
– Have all basic functions of Operational Excellence been defined?
High reliability organization Critical Criteria:
Systematize High reliability organization tasks and frame using storytelling to create more compelling High reliability organization projects.
– what is the best design framework for Operational Excellence organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Operational Excellence that make it risky?
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom Operational Excellence project?
Management fad Critical Criteria:
Ventilate your thoughts about Management fad leadership and point out Management fad tensions in leadership.
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if Operational Excellence does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Operational Excellence strengthening and reform actually originate?
– What are all of our Operational Excellence domains and what do they do?
Management system Critical Criteria:
Accommodate Management system outcomes and handle a jump-start course to Management system.
– Management systems with more than 500 indicators to monitor aspects of human capital management, even in medium-size, not very sophisticated companies. Too many indicators?
– Does we want individuals to be trained to be able to manage the user accounts, curriculum structures, catalog listings, and other administration functions?
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Operational Excellence?
– If we process purchase orders; what is the desired business process around supporting purchase orders?
– If we accept checks what is the desired business process around supporting checks?
– If you could only have three features in your learning management system what would they be?
– What is your anticipated go live date with the new application you select?
– To what extent are teachers and students satisfied with their experiences?
– Competency Management Systems. How do you build a successful team?
– Is your LMS integrated to your current enterprise software?
– Additional compliance information we did not mention?
– What is the size of the existing content libraries?
– Are there any drop dead start or go-dead dates?
– What are the top online e learning tools for business?
– What form of payments must be supported?
– Do we have Production-ready content?
– How do we define online learning?
– How many e learning systems are there?
– How do we choose an lms?
Scientific Management Critical Criteria:
Apply Scientific Management results and maintain Scientific Management for success.
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations Operational Excellence values?
– Do the Operational Excellence decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
– What are our Operational Excellence Processes?
Shingo Prize for Operational Excellence Critical Criteria:
Probe Shingo Prize for Operational Excellence outcomes and get answers.
– Will Operational Excellence have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– How can you negotiate Operational Excellence successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– What threat is Operational Excellence addressing?
Six Sigma Critical Criteria:
Weigh in on Six Sigma tactics and triple focus on important concepts of Six Sigma relationship management.
– What are our best practices for minimizing Operational Excellence project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the Operational Excellence project lifecycle?
– For your Operational Excellence project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– What process management and improvement tools are we using PDSA/PDCA, ISO 9000, Lean, Balanced Scorecard, Six Sigma, something else?
– What potential environmental factors impact the Operational Excellence effort?
– How is Lean Six Sigma different from TOGAF Architecture?
The Toyota Way Critical Criteria:
Debate over The Toyota Way projects and cater for concise The Toyota Way education.
– How do we measure improved Operational Excellence service perception, and satisfaction?
– Does the Operational Excellence task fit the clients priorities?
Toyota Production System Critical Criteria:
Probe Toyota Production System risks and modify and define the unique characteristics of interactive Toyota Production System projects.
– Does Operational Excellence analysis show the relationships among important Operational Excellence factors?
– Have you identified your Operational Excellence key performance indicators?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Operational Excellence Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Operational Excellence External links:
Operational Excellence Trends in 2016 – NEOS
Customer Engagement and Operational Excellence …
Operational Excellence – Capgemini Consulting Norge
Chevron Corporation External links:
Chevron Corporation – Official Site
Chevron Corporation – CVX – Stock Price Today – Zacks
High reliability organization External links:
High Reliability Organization | Covenant HealthCare
Management fad External links:
Six Sigma…a Stupid Management Fad? | NC State …
Is ‘mindfulness’ just another management fad? | Fortune
Is / Was Six Sigma a management fad? – Updated 2017
Management system External links:
[PDF]FIVE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM Policies and …
File Management System – Techopedia.com
WorkAbility Management System
Scientific Management External links:
Scientific Management Flashcards | Quizlet
Scientific management | The Economist
Taylorism | scientific management system | Britannica.com
Shingo Prize for Operational Excellence External links:
[PDF]The Shingo Prize for Operational Excellence – ICBE
The Shingo Prize for Operational Excellence – shingoprize…
Shingo Prize for Operational Excellence – Revolvy
https://www.revolvy.com/topic/Shingo Prize for Operational Excellence
Six Sigma External links:
Online Lean and Six Sigma Training Videos | Gemba Academy
Lean Six Sigma | Greenville Technical College
Six Sigma Green Belt Certification CSSGB – ASQ
The Toyota Way External links:
The Toyota Way – SlideShare
The Way And “The Toyota Way” – Next Gener.Asian Church
Hino and the TOYOTA Way | Toyota | Lean Manufacturing
Toyota Production System External links:
[PDF]TOYOTA PRODUCTION SYSTEM BASIC …
Toyota Production System (TPS) Terminology
Lean Manufacturing and the Toyota Production System