What is involved in Internal communications
Find out what the related areas are that Internal communications connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Internal communications thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Internal communications journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Internal communications leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Internal communications related domains to cover and 127 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Internal communications, Brand engagement, Brand management, Chartered Institute of Public Relations, Communication theory, Corporate communications, Corporate social responsibility, Employee engagement, Employee relations, Film production, Human resource management, Human resources, Information society, Institute of Internal Communication, International Association of Business Communicators, Knowledge management, Larkin Administration Building, Media relations, Organizational studies, Political science, Port Sunlight, Public relations, Rotterdam School of Management, Social media, Social network, Social psychology, Spam filter, Style guide, Works council, Yammer or FieldRate:
Internal communications Critical Criteria:
Meet over Internal communications goals and budget the knowledge transfer for any interested in Internal communications.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Internal communications strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Internal communications leaders?
– Why should we adopt a Internal communications framework?
Brand engagement Critical Criteria:
Unify Brand engagement projects and document what potential Brand engagement megatrends could make our business model obsolete.
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Internal communications study?
– What are the long-term Internal communications goals?
– How do we maintain Internal communicationss Integrity?
Brand management Critical Criteria:
Be responsible for Brand management projects and separate what are the business goals Brand management is aiming to achieve.
– What are our best practices for minimizing Internal communications project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the Internal communications project lifecycle?
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Internal communications project?
– How do we know that any Internal communications analysis is complete and comprehensive?
Chartered Institute of Public Relations Critical Criteria:
Exchange ideas about Chartered Institute of Public Relations outcomes and tour deciding if Chartered Institute of Public Relations progress is made.
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Internal communications?
– What potential environmental factors impact the Internal communications effort?
– Are accountability and ownership for Internal communications clearly defined?
Communication theory Critical Criteria:
Consult on Communication theory governance and explore and align the progress in Communication theory.
– How do we manage Internal communications Knowledge Management (KM)?
– What are internal and external Internal communications relations?
Corporate communications Critical Criteria:
Deduce Corporate communications results and attract Corporate communications skills.
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Internal communications? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– What are our Internal communications Processes?
Corporate social responsibility Critical Criteria:
Boost Corporate social responsibility adoptions and observe effective Corporate social responsibility.
– How do your measurements capture actionable Internal communications information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– What is the different in meaning if any between the terms Sustainability and Corporate Social Responsibility?
– Does Internal communications create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– What if your company publishes an environmental or corporate social responsibility report?
– Do Internal communications rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
Employee engagement Critical Criteria:
Define Employee engagement results and catalog what business benefits will Employee engagement goals deliver if achieved.
– Troubleshooting – are problems related to what is actually changing (the change), to the management of tasks and resources to make the change happen (project management) or to issues relating to employee engagement, buy-in and resistance (Change Management)?
– What role can internal branding and employee engagement play in creating a positive brand experience?
– In a project to restructure Internal communications outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
– Do the drivers of employee engagement differ significantly in different regions of the world?
– Did a newly introduced employee benefit have a positive effect on employee engagement?
– What specific factors are most associated with higher employee engagement?
– Which managerial competencies foster higher levels of employee engagement?
– Why is employee engagement higher for some job functions than for others?
– What business benefits will Internal communications goals deliver if achieved?
– Who will provide the final approval of Internal communications deliverables?
– Should we even be focusing on employee engagement?
Employee relations Critical Criteria:
Talk about Employee relations results and acquire concise Employee relations education.
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Internal communications strengthening and reform actually originate?
– Are assumptions made in Internal communications stated explicitly?
– Does the Internal communications task fit the clients priorities?
Film production Critical Criteria:
Exchange ideas about Film production planning and be persistent.
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Internal communications? There might be some that are less obvious?
– How do we Improve Internal communications service perception, and satisfaction?
– Is a Internal communications Team Work effort in place?
Human resource management Critical Criteria:
Weigh in on Human resource management risks and research ways can we become the Human resource management company that would put us out of business.
– When a Internal communications manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
– How to Secure Internal communications?
Human resources Critical Criteria:
Face Human resources projects and perfect Human resources conflict management.
– Rapidly increasing specialization of skill and knowledge presents a major management challenge. How does an organization maintain a work environment that supports specialization without compromising its ability to marshal its full range of Human Resources and turn on a dime to implement strategic imperatives?
– Does the information security function actively engage with other critical functions, such as it, Human Resources, legal, and the privacy officer, to develop and enforce compliance with information security and privacy policies and practices?
– Do we have processes for managing Human Resources across the business. (eg. staffing skills and numbers are known and predictions are made of future needs? new staff are inducted and trained to suit needs? succession planning is catered for?
– Do the response plans address damage assessment, site restoration, payroll, Human Resources, information technology, and administrative support?
– Under what circumstances might the company disclose personal data to third parties and what steps does the company take to safeguard that data?
– How often do we hold meaningful conversations at the operating level among sales, finance, operations, IT, and human resources?
– What happens if an individual objects to the collection, use, and disclosure of his or her personal data?
– To satisfy customers and stakeholders, which internal business process must we excel in?
– What are the Human Resources we can bring to establishing new business?
– What will be your Human Resources needs for the first year?
– What are ways that employee productivity can be measured?
– How does the global environment influence management?
– Do you need to develop a Human Resources manual?
– Does the hr plan make sense to our stakeholders?
– How is Promptness of returning calls or e-mail?
– Will an algorithm shield us from liability?
– Does the hr plan work for our stakeholders?
– In what areas do you feel we can improve?
– Is the hr plan effective ?
Information society Critical Criteria:
Accommodate Information society goals and describe which business rules are needed as Information society interface.
– What are specific Internal communications Rules to follow?
– What about Internal communications Analysis of results?
Institute of Internal Communication Critical Criteria:
Study Institute of Internal Communication tactics and learn.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Internal communications is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– Is maximizing Internal communications protection the same as minimizing Internal communications loss?
– How would one define Internal communications leadership?
International Association of Business Communicators Critical Criteria:
Focus on International Association of Business Communicators issues and prioritize challenges of International Association of Business Communicators.
– Among the Internal communications product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
– Will Internal communications deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
Knowledge management Critical Criteria:
Guide Knowledge management engagements and adopt an insight outlook.
– Learning Systems Analysis: once one has a good grasp of the current state of the organization, there is still an important question that needs to be asked: what is the organizations potential for developing and changing – in the near future and in the longer term?
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if Internal communications does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that Internal communications objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– What are the best practices in knowledge management for IT Service management ITSM?
– What best practices in knowledge management for Service management do we use?
– When is Knowledge Management Measured?
– How is Knowledge Management Measured?
Larkin Administration Building Critical Criteria:
Ventilate your thoughts about Larkin Administration Building tactics and maintain Larkin Administration Building for success.
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Internal communications that make it risky?
Media relations Critical Criteria:
Meet over Media relations tasks and interpret which customers can’t participate in Media relations because they lack skills.
– What are the record-keeping requirements of Internal communications activities?
– What is the purpose of Internal communications in relation to the mission?
– How do we Identify specific Internal communications investment and emerging trends?
Organizational studies Critical Criteria:
Illustrate Organizational studies risks and innovate what needs to be done with Organizational studies.
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Internal communications with what users do day-to-day?
– Think of your Internal communications project. what are the main functions?
Political science Critical Criteria:
Confer re Political science projects and describe which business rules are needed as Political science interface.
– Is there a Internal communications Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
– What is our formula for success in Internal communications ?
Port Sunlight Critical Criteria:
Examine Port Sunlight issues and overcome Port Sunlight skills and management ineffectiveness.
– Is Internal communications Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
– What vendors make products that address the Internal communications needs?
Public relations Critical Criteria:
Categorize Public relations results and get the big picture.
– If the single biggest influence in shaping consumers attitudes is community organizations, what are they and how can public relations help?
– What are your public relations problems and opportunities based on the product/program and consumer lifecycles?
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Internal communications leader?
– What are the problems, opportunities and anticipated issues that public relations can address?
– What do public relations professionals need to do to become excellent leaders?
– How do we go about Securing Internal communications?
Rotterdam School of Management Critical Criteria:
Learn from Rotterdam School of Management governance and gather Rotterdam School of Management models .
– Is the Internal communications organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
Social media Critical Criteria:
Be responsible for Social media engagements and describe the risks of Social media sustainability.
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about Internal communications. How do we gain traction?
– What methodology do you use for measuring the success of your social media programs for clients?
– Do you have written guidelines for your use of social media and its use by your employees?
– What is our approach to Risk Management in the specific area of social media?
– What is the best way to integrate social media into existing CRM strategies?
– How have you defined R.O.I. from a social media perspective in the past?
– How important is real time for providing social media Customer Service?
– Do you have any proprietary tools or products related to social media?
– Do you offer social media training services for clients?
– How do companies apply social media to Customer Service?
– Is social media the solution to bad Customer Service?
– How does social media redefine business intelligence?
Social network Critical Criteria:
Audit Social network issues and define what do we need to start doing with Social network.
– Will Internal communications have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– Which social networking or e learning service allows the possibility of creating multiple virtual classrooms?
– How might a persons various social network profiles be useful for learning education and or training?
– How will you know that the Internal communications project has been successful?
– Can specialized social networks replace learning management systems?
Social psychology Critical Criteria:
Paraphrase Social psychology results and reduce Social psychology costs.
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding Internal communications?
– Have all basic functions of Internal communications been defined?
Spam filter Critical Criteria:
Trace Spam filter goals and know what your objective is.
– Is Internal communications dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
– How is the value delivered by Internal communications being measured?
Style guide Critical Criteria:
Have a round table over Style guide leadership and research ways can we become the Style guide company that would put us out of business.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Internal communications product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– Does Internal communications appropriately measure and monitor risk?
Works council Critical Criteria:
Mix Works council goals and explain and analyze the challenges of Works council.
– Have you identified your Internal communications key performance indicators?
Yammer or FieldRate Critical Criteria:
Confer over Yammer or FieldRate issues and shift your focus.
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations Internal communications values?
– Do we all define Internal communications in the same way?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Internal communications Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Internal communications External links:
How to Write an Internal Communications Plan (with …
Brand engagement External links:
Nov 27, 2007 · Brand Engagement has 6 ratings and 0 reviews. The branding landscape is dominated by the marketers, the promise makers the …
Creating Brand Engagement: BrandVia
Brand Engagement by Ian P. Buckingham – Goodreads
Brand management External links:
BMP – Brand Management Professionals
Watson Creative – Brand Management and Creative Agency
Chartered Institute of Public Relations External links:
Chartered Institute of Public Relations – Home | Facebook
Communication theory External links:
Framing Theory – Mass Communication Theory
List of Theories | Communication Theory
Corporate communications External links:
Corporate Communications Jobs – Apply Now | CareerBuilder
Corporate social responsibility External links:
Corporate Social Responsibility – SourceWatch
Corporate Social Responsibility | The Aerospace …
Employee engagement External links:
LifeWorks – Employee Engagement & Wellbeing
YouEarnedIt.com – Employee Engagement
C.A. Short Company | Employee Engagement Solutions
Employee relations External links:
[PDF]EMPLOYEE RELATIONS MEMORANDUM (FY17-02) …
Employee Relations – OPM.gov
What are Employee Relations? | HRZone
Film production External links:
How to Get a Film Production Internship – The Balance
Film Production & Development | NBCUniversal Careers
Rainbox – Film production cooperative
Human resource management External links:
SHRM Online – Society for Human Resource Management
Human Resource Management – Encyclopedia – Inc.com
Human resources External links:
Human Resources Job Titles-The Ultimate Guide | upstartHR
Human Resources Job Titles | Enlighten Jobs
Human Resources Job Titles – The Balance
Information society External links:
The Information Society: Vol 34, No 1
The information society (Book, 1988) [WorldCat.org]
The information society (Film, 1980) [WorldCat.org]
Institute of Internal Communication External links:
IoIC – The Institute of Internal Communication
IOIC – Institute of Internal Communication – Photos | Facebook
International Association of Business Communicators External links:
International Association of Business Communicators | …
International Association of Business Communicators
International Association of Business Communicators …
Knowledge management External links:
Knowledge Management Consulting Firm | Iknow LLC
Knowledge Management System – Login
Home – livepro: Customer Service Knowledge Management
Larkin Administration Building External links:
The Larkin Administration Building – DEMOLISHED
Frank Lloyd Wright Larkin Administration Building (v1.0)
Media relations External links:
Office of Media Relations | The George Washington University
Media Relations — Chevron.com
Media Relations | American University, Washington, D.C.
Organizational studies External links:
Organizational studies (eBook, 2012) [WorldCat.org]
Political science External links:
POLITICAL SCIENCE Essays – ManyEssays.com
[PDF]Related Career Titles for Political Science Majors
Department of Political Science
Port Sunlight External links:
Port Sunlight G.C. (@PortSunlightGC) | Twitter
Port Sunlight River Park – Home | Facebook
Mid-American Gunite Inc 8475 Port Sunlight Rd Newport, …
Public relations External links:
Ambit Adverting & Public Relations
VocusPR – Cision Public Relations
Contact Us – Customer Support, Public Relations, …
Rotterdam School of Management External links:
MBA – Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus …
Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University
Social media External links:
A Unified Social Media Management Platform – Statusbrew
Social Media Engagement App | Post Planner
Social network External links:
Hi5 – The social network for meeting new people 🙂
Social psychology External links:
Social Psychology (Objectives) Flashcards | Quizlet
Kerry L. Marsh | Social Psychology
SparkNotes: Social Psychology: Stereotypes and Prejudice
Spam filter External links:
Visionary Communications – Spam Filter Login
WesTel Systems / Remsen, Iowa / My Account / Spam Filter
How to Create an Outlook Junk Email or SPAM Filter
Style guide External links:
Style Guide: Capitalization
[PDF]U.S. Navy Style Guide
The Style Guide | Stitch Fix Men
Works council External links:
Works council movement in Germany, (Book, 1925) …
[PDF]The Study of Works Councils: Concepts and Problems
Works Council | Definition of Works Council by Merriam-Webster